Tuesday, August 25, 2009

7 Daffodils;

So now, it’s all over. All the text analysis, choreographing, all the you-know.

Creative processes? What can I talk about here. It’s the evaluation of the piece itself. Lets touch on my favourite topic first – sounds.
My failure to explain (and justify) why did I switch from the initial one-genre idea to multi-genre arrangement was because firstly, the use of Plastic Flower wasn’t my idea. And so why did I approve to it? It’ve caused too many bloodshed within the group, I want no more.

What genre is that piece? Hard rock. How do I justify? I don’t know, seriously.

The rest of my explanations were crap. Literally. My bad. All my bad. I’m going to go through the whole thing in sequence again and hopefully the group may understand.

Scene two A – Irish folk.
Brings out intended awkwardness in the slow pulse of the piece. Calmness brings out solemnity within characters. Scene transits.
Scene two B – Anime.
Brings out the playfulness nature of the Friend 1 character. Together with the game played with the Child, the piece weaves into a very animated scene that portrays the positive part of life in the Child’s life.
Scene two C – Expressionistic (Post modern)
Brings out awkwardness. Uneven accented beats were used chosen as the key factor of the piece that will bring out the unevenness and rigidness of the Friend 2 character.

Scene three – Anime.
Brings out the accented ups-and-downs of Sibling and provided the necessary build-up for the scene that gradually brings the scene to its intended violent nature.

Scene four – (Orchestra [classic] + Rock) + Anime.
The background orchestral piece brought about the needed build-up for the piece before breaking down with the thematic music that was used to symbolize the Sibling’s bipolar disorder.

Scene five – Irish folk + Classical + Expressionistic + Anime.
In order of sequences, the Irish folk entry with the subsequent ringing of the bells offer the scene as a form of introduction. The aria then came in with the intended motive of bringing about a quiet theme that will gradually build-up to an explosive ending. Combining it with Expressionistic, it explodes into an unexpected form, causing irritations within the audiences and thus, creating the necessary effect of a climax within the piece. The piece then fades out with a scream, symbolizing the end of a chapter as depicted as a form of realization or the cutting away of strings in the scene. The illusionistic nature of the anime piece fades in with the intended nature to symbolize the break-away of the characters and also the realization of the child.

Frankly, till now, I’ve still got no idea why we’ve chosen the genre of hard rock for Scene one A. I guess it offers as a build-up to a certain plateau in the tension level of the piece. But that’s it.

All-in-all, the discussion marked a grey area in our conclusions when it comes to song choices. There were just too much tears shed just because they liked that piece. I don’t know. I generally don’t like the use of actual songs (those with people singing lyrics) to be used in such theatre. Well, at least based on concepts and the exposures I’ve had. So far, no.

Lighting design was supposedly simple. Based on the use of colours; following the footsteps of Jennifer Tipton who based her works on the uses of colours, I pieced this piece together with just simple colour coding themes. I used mainly side-lights to create the atmosphere; top (and front) lights to illuminate dark spots after finding some scenes too dark. Given the lack of space and also the need to share the lighting grid with other groups; I kept my use of lightings to the minimum. Must I elaborate more on it? Most of my designs were based on colour codings or colour themes.

My understanding of expressionism needs to be changed. Yes. After the course of my past 2 years studying expressionistic art pieces in general (and music that’s slightly more in-detail), I’ve came to this conclusion about expressionistic pieces being a form of art that one uses to express oneself in any given theme (or subject). Well, viva proved me wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment